Students always search for the best strategies for preparing for competitive exams. UGC Net/JRF is one among them. It is the dream of the early researchers or those who want to pursue higher education. The question is how to qualify for UGC NET or JRF if we have one or two months only. How to make the best strategy or workable study plan for it?
Every student has a different background. The study plan or strategy for one student may not be effective for the other student. The reason is- one student may have command on a particular topic that another student doesn’t have and vice versa. The point is that everyone has different abilities and different weaknesses. So, there cannot be a general plan that may help all. You need to make an effective plan according to your abilities. Our purpose is to guide you to make your plan to qualify for the UGC NET/JRF by preparing for a month only.
Understanding your Abilities and Weaknesses:
First, we need to understand the exam pattern for UGC NET/JRF. It has two papers: 1. Teaching and Research Aptitude; 2. Main Subjects (such as Geography, English, History, etc.) You need to prepare for both papers.
- Analyze the syllabus of both papers.
- Go through the syllabus and old question papers and see what you already know about the subject.
- Figure out those topics which are one of your weakest points. Prepare your study plan accordingly.
- Give more time to those subjects which you are not good at.
Once you understand your abilities and weaknesses, you will know how many hours you should study. It could be 3 to 8 hours per day. It depends upon how much syllabus you need to cover.
- Divide your study time into two parts.
- In half of the study time, you should cover simple topics.
- In the other half, you should study those topics which you are not good at.
- You should study easy and difficult both types of topics every day.
- Covering more and more topics every day will help you to boost your confidence.
Notes-taking is also very important. You may have help books that have already-made notes. But, taking your own note is a necessary exercise for preparation. The main benefit is that you would have everything written in one place. It will help you during revisions because you will save your time searching notes here and there. Also, sometimes when we write, it makes our understanding clearer. So it also helps in bringing clarity to the topics.
Study with concentration:
Do not try to study for a much longer time. The most important thing is to study with focus. Keep taking breaks as much as you need but whatever you study try to keep it in your mind and in your notebook.
- Avoid doing things that distract you.
- Take as many breaks as you need but always go back to the study after 15 minutes.
- Writing is a good way of focusing.
- Use those sources which help you to concentrate. For E.g. if you can focus on videos more, try to study with videos.
Revision is a very important part of preparation. You should start revising a week before the exam. If you have analyzed old question papers well enough, you will know which topics are more important for exams and which or not.
The best way to revise is to solve old question papers daily. See which topics or subjects seem more difficult to you and are often asked in the exams. Then, read those topics with more focus. Go through your notes again and again.
There is no shortcut to qualifying for the UGC NET/JRF exam. You should make the best study plan for yourself and try to follow it strictly. The less time you have, the more hard work is needed.